Thursday, December 30, 2010

So slack! So sorry...

Hey All!

I am feeling a little embarrassed to admit that it has been several weeks since the Sugar and Spice market at Woodend and I haven't posted a report since then...

All up the market was disappointing - not just for me as a first timer, but for all stallholders.  There were very few visitors to the market and it appears even fewer who were there to shop.  That's the bad news... the good news is that I did sell some rugs and managed to cover the cost of the stall and petrol to get to Woodend so it wasn't a complete loss! The other good news is (and it's not really good, good news) is that none of the other retailers at the market were busy either so it wasn't just me.

I have enjoyed my break from the sewing machine and with the stock that I have left over from Sugar and Spice, I shouldn't have to do much preparation for the 2 markets that I'm hoping to do in January. My bank account has also enjoyed the break from the beating it gets every time I step foot into Spotlight!

I'm hoping to take advantage of the summer holidays and get into a couple of markets in popular tourist destinations.  My application for the Queenscliffe Community Market is going in the post today (they only do it be snail mail!) and I'm going to aim for the Fairyfloss Market in Williamstown too. Now I just have to hope that people have cash left over following Christmas and those dreaded Boxing Day sales!

I managed to get the 2 orders that I had in the mail prior to Christmas and both mums seem really happy with the results which in turn makes me really happy.  I can't wait for them to upload photos of their beautiful bubs enjoying the beautiful sunshine on their Piccaninny Rug!


I'm also considering adding another item to my repertoire - book bags.  I have made one for Christmas for the 2y/o of a friend (haven't seen her yet to deliver it!) and I think that it looks pretty special.  The only down side is that they take a bit of mucking around to make.  Then again, the rugs were pretty time consuming until I got into a rhythm...

I'd really appreciate your feedback on the book bags.  Any ideas on how to improve them and maybe how much you'd be prepared to pay for one would be highly valued!

It's also time for me to organise a pamphlet that I can drop at local Maternal Child Health Centres, Childcare Centres and the like.  I know it hasn't been that long since I started up, but I was hoping that word of mouth would have moved a little more swiftly than it has so it's time for me to start putting myself out there a little more.  It goes against the grain a little, but it appears that self promotion is required.

There's time for that later... I really need to go and enjoy the beautiful sunshine with my beautiful son on our rug!

No comments:

Post a Comment