Friday, October 22, 2010

The ups and downs...

So this week has been a bit of an interesting one from both a professional and personal perspective.

I've been trying to register my business name all week using the online registration facility.  The problem is that my business name keeps being rejected by the computer system as it is too close to that of other businesses.  Having done an ASIC search of business names, I'm pretty sure that Piccaninny Rugs is quite different to any other business name using the word 'piccaninny'.  I had all but given up hope (and was ready to close my FaceBook page - you can't change the name) when I spoke to a friend of mine who has recently started up Sugar Plum Tree (beautiful appliqued baby and kids clothing).  She told me that the online system rejected her application several times but once she had lodged a hard copy application, it went through.  There seems to be some logic in getting a human to do something over a computer... It was really good news for me as I'm now revved up and re-energised about getting the business up and running.

I've also engaged Rachel from AnEdge Designs to whip up a business logo to be used to product labels and business cards.  We've got the font spot on, but are working out the kinks on the image.  I can't wait to get it finalised so that I can get some 'official' stuff printed.  Look out!  I'll be appearing like a legit business soon!


If only I had a little girl, this one would
 be staying at home with me!
Spotlight are once again in possession of way too much of my money.  The up side is that I have some great new fabrics to mix and match.  Darling Hubby did happen to point out that I'm going to have to make an effort to find some 'girly girl' fabrics for some of my rugs.  Being the mum of a boy and not the most 'girly girl' going around, I'm not particularly drawn to pinks, flowers, fairies and the like. I have a great collection of block colours, spots and stripes, but when it comes to the prettier side of life, I really need to make more of an effort.  Like the Pantene ad says "It won't happen over night, but it will happen"



On a personal note, my little boy is growing up so quickly!  He'll be 8mths old next week and has just started crawling.  He still prefers commando crawling as he can get to places (and things I don't want him to get to) much quicker, but the hands and knees crawling is coming along nicely.  He's also resumed babbling and loves to shout at the top of his voice to anyone who will listen.  And on top of all that, Darling Hubby and I are desperately trying to convince the little guy that he really doesn't need to wake at 4am for a feed because he's not really hungry.  It's a bit hit and miss at the moment.  Just when we think that we've got it, he wakes at 5am instead.


So I find myself at the computer typing away (thank you Mr MacCormack for teaching me to touch type in Yr 8 on an actual typewriter!) to give myself a bit of a break from the sewing machine.  I've posted some new photos on my FaceBook page of the new fabrics and given that I have made a rug and a half today, I think that it's time for me to rest my tired eyes and get some sleep.  Well I will after I give my little boy his last feed for the night.  I may crawl in to bed before midnight after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment