Sunday, October 17, 2010

You have to spend money to make money...

Today I've taken 2 very big steps in growing my business.
  1. I've spent way too much money at Spotlight
  2. I've entered a submission to be a retailer at a popular children and babies market
These 2 events have 2 very important consequences
  1. I have to start to source wholesale/bulk fabrics (and I have no idea where to start!)
  2. I really have to get sewing!  If my application is successful, I'll need at least 20 rugs in various sizes and a heap of Tag Blankies ready to go (and I only have about 7 weeks to do it in!)
In sourcing fabrics for my rugs I have found that there is a particular fabric store that has a much larger range of fabric prints than the other 2 within easy driving of my home.  This is really good news as I was starting to dispair at the lack of cute and funky prints available as the contrast fabrics for my rugs. I have posted a heap of new photos on my FaceBook page showing the fabrics that I now have available. There is also a fabric store in Fitzroy I want to check out but given it's a bit of a drive from home, it's going to have to wait until next Friday when I'm in nearby Carlton for a Mother's Group catch-up.

I feel like I've spent way too much money today on fabric and ribbon today, but if I'm serious about making this business work, then it's got to be done.  I've also taken the first steps in getting AnEdge Designs to create a business brand.  This will enable me to get fabric labels made for my rugs, storage bags and Tag Blankies. 

It seems after the trials and tribulations I've had in the past 2 days, that things are really motoring along.  It's exciting but really scary too.  My biggest fear is that I won't be able to create enough stock in time for the market I'm hoping to attend on December 12th.

I'm going to set myself a goal of 2 or 3 rugs per week between now and the market (obviously this assumes that my darling son co-operates with my plans) and to have about 20 Tag Blankies made up in the same time frame.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment