Tuesday, November 2, 2010

At least I'm a textbook case...

"The start-up phase of a new small business is characterised by tremendous uncertainty... decisions may be a little compulsive, erratic and inconsisent... will almost certainly face a cash crisis...huge financial drain.." - Managing a small business in Australia, John English & Babette Moate

Seems like I tick all the boxes!

I finally sat down last night, after going cross eyed cutting out fabric, and worked out how much fabric I had and how many rugs I could make with it.  Seems like I've got quite a bit!  I calculated (and actually wrote down ) that I have enough contrast fabric, and wadding for about 18 rugs.  (and more fabric on the way, courtesty of a couple of Ebay bids that I didn't think would come to anything)
That's the good news.
The bad news is that I still need to buy more denim (that's not the cheapest stuff going around) and the coated backing (again not cheap!) for the all these rugs.

So I headed back across to Spotlight today to buy, what I thought would be, the last of the materials needed to get enough stock made for the market I'm hoping to go to in December.  Not so!  When I bought a full roll of wadding on Friday, I got a really nice discount for taking the whole thing.  When I asked today about a discount for a whole roll of the backing fabric, they only offered me half of the discount I got on Friday!  Not happy!  Add to that that I couldn't find the same denim that I bought on Friday and I wasn't a particularly happy camper. I did, however, find another denim that is close to what I wanted and realistically, I'm not going to mix the two types on the one rug so it really doesn't matter!

The upshot of all this is that I was quite apprehensive about spending another huge wad of $$$ today but didn't have to be as they didn't have everything that I was after!

Cash crisis averted (for another week, anyway!).  Time to go and crunch some numbers and see exactly how much money I need to, eventually, put back into the loan redraw...

No comments:

Post a Comment